Great family Christmases are made of equal parts anticipation, ritual, surprise, comfort and closeness – it’s almost like something is in the air.
But what if this year is a virtual Christmas? We’ve been talking to people about how to create the Christmas atmosphere even if we’re not together in person. Here are some of our favourite ideas:
- Double up on thoughtfulness – your gift has to work hard to show how much you care and how much thought you’ve put into it. Instead of one big present, consider smaller gifts that can create moments of discovery and can be useful throughout the day.
- For some of us, Christmas doesn’t start until the first cup of mulled wine or a Brazil nut cracked in front of the Strictly final – a home-made/hand-picked hamper could give Christmas a more familiar flavour.
- Of course the Christmas atmosphere is heavy with comforting scents – our Ancient Frankincense candle will deliver the Christmas atmosphere wherever it’s lit.
- Spread out your virtual Christmas so it’s more than just a phone call on Christmas morning. A family calendar could help;
- Conference everyone in for a kids Christmas Eve performance
- Share a Christmas Day Spotify playlist
- Sweepstake the Boxing day sport
- Share a stay-at-home experience like a live workshop, or mystery wine tasting
- Set up a family WhatsApp group and figure out how to instant conference call everyone.
- Synchronize present opening and stream it live.
If it comes to it (and we hope it won’t!) plan ahead, get everyone involved in sharing ideas and if you’d be so kind, share your ideas with us!